Saturday, February 6, 2016

Project Bridge recipient for February, Mr. Ryan Wood


Please watch the following 8 minute presentation by Mike Schoening, the person behind 
Project Bridge, A Social Media Experiment
(I have included a link to the gofundme page too....









The following letter is what we received from Mr. Ryan Wood

Ryan and Nova (his niece)
My name is Ryan Wood. I have been suffering from juvenile diabetes since the age of 10. Throughout the majority of my life, I have faced a harsh reality of daily insulin shots and finger pricks, a secluded diet and living with the fear of not only the daily effects of the disease, but the long term ones as well. In March of 2014 I was diagnosed with Acute End Stage Renal Disease, also known as Kidney Failure. I had taken good care of myself and took pride in my success of overcoming the multiple challenges of type I diabetes. Up until the day I was sent to the Emergency Room, I considered myself independent, happy and enjoying everything life had to offer. I am now being kept alive by a dialysis machine. I still deal with the near impossible task of attempting to beat diabetes, but have now been drained of an immune system, day-to-day energy and the ability to live a normal life. I am not expected (nor recommended) to work, as my body is unable to handle the stress physically or mentally, yet I still attempt to hold down a part time job once or twice a week in an attempt to make "ends meat" and pay for my rent, food, expenses, bills, and the surmounting medical payments that accumulate. My efforts continually come up short as most of the time I am too sick to go into work or even finish a shift due to illness or exhaustion. I receive a small disability payment each month which doesn't even cover half my rent. I have been lucky enough to be blessed with a caring family and generous friends who all contribute in their own way to help me get by each month. I cant even put into words how thankful I am for the people that shower me with support from small financial contributions to cooking me dinner and dropping off food.

I am currently going through the vigorous requirements to be listed on the national transplant list to receive multiple organs from a deceased donor. Once listed, I will be in line for a life-saving transplant of a kidney and a pancreas. The procedure will cost upwards of $480,000 and will keep me hospitalized and recovering for months. I have extinguished all the money I had saved and already feel like such a burden to my parents and family members who continually chip in in an attempt to at least aide in the financial hardship I face while going through these overwhelming health challenges.

I put myself through college at the University of Oregon. I was a successful graphic designer who worked my way into a Director of Marketing position. I felt as though I have had many successes throughout my life and been surrounded by great people. Ever since the day I lost my kidneys, my entire life changed. Everything got put on hold. I attempt to stay positive and focus on making it to transplant, staying as healthy as possible, and staying alive. I am extremely grateful a dear friend, Megan Lippold, has recommended me to be a candidate for Project Bridge. Even If I am not selected, just knowing that I have people in my life who care about me and want the best for me, is what gets me by every day. My spirits are continually lifted and simply put, its people like her that make the world a good place.

Thank you for taking the time to read a little about my story and consider me as a candidate for Project Bridge.

Sincerely,

Ryan Wood






The Jeff Morton Report Sundays at 8 to 9:00 am Pacific Time http://wawradio.net (Internet Radio) Visit http://jeffsmorton.com for additional information YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/standupone

No comments: