Sunday, October 2, 2011

Rabbi Max begun to challenge what he was taught, too!

http://www.man-na.com/Rabbi_Max_Wertheimer.htm

An excerpt: 
[Thanks Leeza for sharing about Max]
Seeking
I said to myself: "Who is that righteous servant? To whom does the prophet refer?" I argued: "Whoever that righteous servant of Jehovah is, of one thing I am sure, he is not Israel because the prophet declares Israel to be a sinful nation, a people laden with iniquity, a leprous nation. The righteous servant of Jehovah must be One Who is holy. If it isnt Israel, who could it be?"
I decided it must be Isaiah. But in Isaiah 6 I found that the prophet confesses himself to be a guilty sinner and "a man of unclean lips" in G-ds sight.
"My righteous servant." Who could it be? Then I began to study the context of the fifty-third chapter and found in Isaiah 50:6, "I gave My back to the smiters." I pondered that: "Who gave his back to the smiters?" At the beginning of the chapter it says: "Thus saith Jehovah." Jehovah is the only speaker in the chapter. Jehovah gave His back to the smiters? Had G-d a back? When and why was it smitten? Who smote it?
Further, I read: "Who gave His cheeks to them that plucked off the hair." And, still further, "I hid not My face from shame and spitting." What did all this mean? Who had been so abused? When? Why? Did Jehovah have all these human characteristics? I studied more and more various prophetic utterances. In Psalm 110 it is written : "The Lord said to my Lord, Sit Thou at My right hand until I make Thine enemies Thy footstool." Here was David speaking of his own seed and calling Him "Lord." How did He get up there? Why didnt G-d specify? Why didnt He speak so plainly to Israel that every Jew could understand?
In confusion I decided to begin at the first chapter of Isaiah and read the book through. I stopped at the ninth chapter: "For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given, and the government shall be upon his shoulders; His name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, the Mighty G-d, the Everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace." Here was a most incomprehensible thing!

No comments: